Our pharmacist is able to provide comprehensive medication therapy management through patient centered pharmaceutical care and can meet one-on-one with patients to review their medication regiment – to promote safe and appropriate use of their medications.
A consult with the pharmacist would be beneficial for:
- Patients recently discharged from a hospital with changes to their medications.
- Patients with chronic medical conditions (i.e. asthma, COPD, chronic pain, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, etc.).
- Patients who are trying to meet target goals – for good control of their chronic conditions (i.e. blood pressure, blood sugars, pain control, etc.).
- Patients who are on multiple medications (polypharmacy) where there is high risk of adverse effects and drug interactions.
- Patients on high risk medications that require monitoring (Lithium, Methotrexate, Oral anticoagulants, Warfarin, etc.).
- Patients who want to develop an action plan to educate and empower themselves about their medications.
A consult includes:
- Talking about your medications – how and when they are best taken.
- Discussing why you are taking specific medications.
- Discussing the common side-effects and how to minimize them.
- Identifying, and addressing, any drug related problems (duplication, unnecessary therapy, inappropriate dose or dosage forms, drug interactions, etc.).
- It is important that you bring ALL the medications you are taking, including over-the-counter (OTCs), vitamins and supplements for this review.
- The pharmacist is a vital resource for physicians, nurses and patients in regards to medication therapy.